Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fingers Crossed......

Okay, so I went to my ortho appointment last week and they DID NOT take impressions, molds, surgery records--whatever you want to call it. The ortho wanted to make one more adjustment to one of my bottom teeth but they scheduled my impressions for July 26th so I'm excited about that. I called the Oral Surgeon's office to see how soon surgery would be scheduled after that and she said we still wouldn't know until after they view these records. I must say that I'm getting very anxious! Ortho still believes surgery will be scheduled for September sometime.

In other news...I got a part-time job as a preschool teacher at a church here in town. I'm VERY excited about this as I have not had a job since I went into labor with my six year old son! He starts Kindergarten this year and my lil' girl is now three so this will be a nice little adventure for us. The preschool has the same schedule as the school district so I will be off when my son will. I couldn't ask for a better situation.  Of course pay isn't much but honestly, it's more about the social aspect of it for me. I'm just excited to get out and about in this small lil' town and get out of this house! They're very understanding as far as this surgery goes and I won't really start the job until after I'm healed...just wondering how long that will take????

Soooo....please pray and keep your fingers crossed.  I worked very hard on my insurance appeal and sent it off last Monday. I know they have to respond w/in 30 days so I'm hoping for good news. My exclusion is very "exclusive"! For them to cover it has NOTHING to do w/ how bad I need the surgery or any medical issues I have. The exclusion states that I must have been diagnosed w/ a birth defect w/in 30 days of birth (which I wasn't, of course) or that I have an accidental injury.  In that instance, surgery would have to be performed w/in one year of incident (unless unable to be performed w/in that time period for medical reasons). So, that's my fight...I have birth records showing injury to my face during labor. In several records it makes note of my bruised head and face and hemorrhages on my face. I found a medical journal dated around the time of my birth that states that even though facial injuries are rare in infants that it CAN happen and that nothing would be done at that time until the person had time to develop and see how noticeable the injuries were. So, of course nothing could be performed w/in one year of the incident. I know it's a stretch. Especially since insurance companies love to deny EVERYTHING but I am praying it'll be enough to get it covered. If not we'll just have to pay ourselves and it'll be a nice chunk to deduct on taxes this year! LOL. But regardless, PRAY & KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED and I'll keep checking the mail! XOXOXOXO

4 comments:

SteveG said...

Hi

My surgeon did a real good job presenting my case to my insurance... they did not initially cover it either.
His name is Dr. Gunson out in Santa Barbara, CA.
Maybe his office could give your Doc any tips they've learned.

I still will be lucky to recover 1/2 of the $50K... one thing though is that my Dr required full payment up front, so everytime I got some extra money, it got sent to my surgeon.

On to your "back to work" schedule.
I am ten days into recovery post op from a double jaw fun and joy fest.
I work in outdoor construction, I am in excellent physical condition and could not have worked a minute.
Going to get the mail seemed like a big big deal.

My first few days were spent sitting upright in bed or a chair drooling and/or snuffling bloody mess out of my nose.
Watching People's Court was too exhausting to bother with.

Now I am stronger. Two days ago I wouldn't have walked around the block without stopping 8 times (and I was running uphill trail runs 3X a week plus long bike rides 2X and weightlifting up until the Monday before surgery)
Today I could do it without stopping, but I would stop maybe 2X, just so as not to push it too hard.

I am very touchy about having people around my face. I'd hate to get it bumped by a forehead at this point.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd wait and see how I felt after 2 to 3 weeks before returning to work even a couple hours a day.
By that time you wont be too swollen/scary and hopefully the drooling will have stopped.
The blood won't be leaking out of your nose so bad by then either.

E Hest said...

Thanks Steve! I'll wait and see what insurance decides and maybe I'll try that. I was thinking about 3 weeks to start work. You're right, I def don't want to look scary or drool around little kids. It could scar them for life! Good luck on your recovery. How long were you in the hospital???

June said...

Hi Elisha. I'm sorry that I didn't get your email. I was in KC visiting family and my husband may have deleted the email by mistake or maybe I didn't see it. Anyway, all is good here. Thanks for thinking of me. I will pray for your insurance to pay. That would sure be a big confidence booster for you and your wallet. I know when my insurance approved mine, I really felt God was in it. September is just around the corner so it's coming up fast. I'm glad you're enjoying your Vitamix. I made another Green Smoothie last night, but it turned out more of a "Brown Smoothie" even when I followed the recipe. It looked gross. Love, June

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your insurance girlie! Keep me posted! Looks like we will be having surgery around the same time so we will really need to keep in touch!