Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wide Open Spaces....

So, I feel like progress has been made! I had my records appointment on Monday with my Orthodontist. They took pictures, several x-rays and molds. They said they would try to get records to my Oral Surgeon by the end of the day so I'm calling tomorrow to see if they've received them and when I can schedule my appointment! I'm really excited about this. I have not seen my Oral Surgeon since the consult last September. 

*Note* they did call in a muscle relaxer for me so I'm happy about that. I've only needed to take a 1/2 of one the night after ortho appt. but it really DOES help.

I now have the wire on that they will use for surgery. I've had a heavy wire and powerchain on my top teeth for awhile now, but they just put the heavy wire and powerchain on the bottom. Ouch...it was not fun that first night.

In Insurance news...I received a letter from the State of Missouri letting me know they forwarded my complaint to Kansas since that's where our insurance was issued. We live in Missouri but my husband's company is based out of Kansas so I guess that's why. We live really close to state line.  Anyway, I followed up and found out they will be issuing a "Reviewer" this week and they could possibly have a decision by 45 days! I'm anxious to find out how this whole process works. Well, here are the pics the orthodontist's office took.
EWWWW
It's crazy how much my teeth have MOVED in year. Notice how open my bite is? I have a pretty good crossbite too. I seriously have like NO teeth touching except for the molar in back. I also took some "home" pics so you could see my bite from the underside and up close, but I added them to the "smile file" as I do not care to look at them anymore than I have to! :) Hope everyone is doing well on their journey and enjoying the summer. It's hard to believe it's almost time for school to start!!!

XOXOXO   E

P.S. I went to the dentist and found out I have a cavity in the back bottom molar. My dentist wants to fill it w/ the silver filling because it's stronger and lasts longer. Most people go with the tooth colored filling even though they don't last as long. My dentist really trying to encourage me to get the silver one but, honestly, I'm SICK of looking at silver and would really prefer the tooth colored. My ortho says do what I want...I'm torn....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...progress!!! Did you get your surgery scheduled yet??

E Hest said...

I have my appt. w/ the Oral Surgeon this Friday so I should ACTUALLY have something planned out after that. I feel like I've been waiting forEVER! ;) How'd your appt. go? You'll have to post your pics soon!

Brent said...

Hi Elishia!
I too have filed a complaint with the insurance commissioner...I wish the best for you! At this blog: www.theteethofsteph.blogspot.com/ in her post around may of 2009 describes the process she went through...perhaps it may help.
As far a the tooth color, I say white! After all this hard work, you deserve to get what you want!

Regards,

Brent

E Hest said...

Thanks Brent. I looked it up. I think she actually had her company pay hers??? But, you'll have to keep me updated on your situation. What state are you in and how long ago did you file? I called the State Of Kansas earlier this week and they said they should have an answer w/in 30 days. So, we'll see! :) Good luck to you. What's your exclusion in your policy???

Brent said...

Hi Elisha!
I live in Washington State...and I just filed an appeal to my insurance company coupled with a complaint to the insurance commissioner. My coverage doesn't exclude orthognathic surgery, it just limits the total amount to $1000.00 But the kicker is that I belive that hospital coverage should also be included which they are not being forthworth about. My surgeon told me that the insurance company I have usually drags their feet so I am just adding pressure to them. As far as the blog I sent you to, she had specific exclusion to orthognathic but did get substantial coverage..which means there is hope for me and you!
Good luck to you! Did you get an appointment for your surgery today?
Cheers!
Brent

E Hest said...

Thanks, Brent! Yep..I met w/ the Surgeon yesterday and he said I'm ready! Surgery is scheduled for Aug. 31st! He also spoke w/ me regarding surgery and said he was going to have their office manager call my insurance back and request it be reviewed by a Maxiofacial Surgeon. He said b/c I have an open bite it is definitely a skeletal defect and they should really cover it-- We'll see. Keep your fingers crossed as I will for you!