Saturday, August 7, 2010

Progress in Progress!!!

So....I met with my Oral Surgeon yesterday and progress has been made. He was very impressed with the models that were sent from my Orthodontist's office and said I'm ready for take off!

Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, August 31st as long as there is an opening at the Surgi Center they use. I am so excited. I'm also excited where the surgery is being performed as it will not only cost less but there are private rooms with Wi/Fi. Not so sure I'll be feeling well enough to update while hospitalized but we'll see! :)

I will have my surgical hooks put on one week prior and also have my long 2+ hour appt. w/ the Surgeon to go over the exact measurements and have all my diagnostics done, etc. His "guess" is that I will probably go up approx 4mm on my upper jaw and out 5 mm on my bottom. I was told this will dramatically change my life and increase breathing DOUBLE from my mouth and my nose. I couldn't be happier. You can't put a price on that. I've spent my whole life struggling w/ breathing issues and this is such a big deal to me (and my husband). I am also impressed with the Surgeon. He is so kind and makes me feel like this is just as important to him as it is us.

He still hasn't decided if I will need a two piece Lefort or just one. He'll know at that long appt. If he decides on two pieces the surgery will be about an hour longer (3-5 hour surgery) and I will have a splint in place. I will not be "wired" shut but have rubber bands on my teeth and will have braces approx. 9 months after surgery. He's guessing a 2-3 night hospital stay.  The Surgeon also mentioned that I may still have some gums showing when I smile because my teeth are so short. I guess they have another surgery that can be done later where they laser your gums so you have more enamel showing. No thank you! I'll stick with my short teeth. I don't plan on adding any additional $$$$ signs! :)

In the insurance avenue....My Surgeon recommend that I insist the records being reviewed by another Maxiofacial Surgeon as it will show my open bite and the fact that it's a skeletal defect that needs to be corrected. He was also going to have the office manager call my insurance again to pressure them some more. We'll see what happens. He DID tell me not to give up and keep fighting! That's all I needed to hear to get my gloves back on and get back in the ring for another round! :)

Hope everyone is doing well. Summer is almost over. I'm looking forward to fall and some butternut squash soup! :)

XOXOXOXO

6 comments:

Brent said...

Hi Elisha!
I did mis-speak yesterday :( on my comment to you, but I still put out hope for us! Aug 31, wow how exciting! I will pray for a successful surgery and perfect recovery for you. I will look up my exclusion and get back to you. It sounds like you have a great surgeon, that is awesome!
Have a super wonderful day!
Brent

Brent said...

Hi Elisha!
I posted the letter I wrote to the insurance commish and insurance company. I re-read my contract and I don't see a specific exclusion to the surgery except as follows:
Excluded are the following: Orthognathic (jaw) surgery in the absence of a TMJ or sever obstructive sleep apnea diagnosis except for congenital anomalies, treatment for cosmetic purposes, dental services, including orthodontic therapy and any hospitalization s related to these exclusions. “
I would be interested in your thoughts!
By the way, did you make the color choice on your filling?
Cheers,
Brent

Raquel said...

I battled with my insurance company for over a year. On the recommendation of my orthodontist, I involved my general practice physician. She wrote a letter describing the dire effects an untreated open bite had caused me, including stomach ulcers and other gastrointestinal problems, as well as things that could happen like choking that could possibly be fatal. The letter worked. United Health Care processed my approval within a week of receiving this letter. I am now 8 weeks post-op and the insurance battle is not over. I checked my claim status today and of course the surgery was denied benefits. The customer service rep says she will fix the problem within 5 business days... Good luck with your battle and don't give up.

Anonymous said...

Hey- saw your smile file and yep, my bite looks about the same as yours. Barely any teeth touch. Good times. So excited for you and your upcoming surgery! My appoinment with the ortho to review my impressions taken last week so hopefully I can get a date too! :)

E Hest said...

Thanks, Raquel! I just received my second denial and I am now having my Surgeon send 2nd level appeal requesting it be reviewed by an MD in this type of field. Isn't it frustrating??? We just have to keep positive and remember all those benefits we will receive. I also have gastro issues and the more I research mouth breathing (most open biters do it) the more health issues I find. So glad I'll be breathing through those nostrils soon.

Mandy! Yay! You are right around the corner, girlfriend! We are going to be surgery sistas! lol. We can wallow in our self pity together! Let me know when you get your surgery date. XOXOX

Anonymous said...

Hi Elisha! Congrats on your upcoming surgery date. I am waiting for mine! Thank you for sharing your journey...and your pregnancy photos...Lol! I can't wait to read about your recovery.