Saturday, August 28, 2010

I Got the "Hook" Ups!!!

So, I def got  the "hook" ups on Wednesday! I went to the Ortho and he placed five surgical hooks on top and three on bottom. I don't think they'll be using them all but just wanted the extra in there in case. My daughter was with me at that appt. (she's three) and I think I scarred her for life. I had all of these wires hanging out of my mouth. I wish I had a photo! Anyway, the hooks were no big deal. It took about an hour to get it all in there but they didn't give any discomfort. The only issue I had was that I couldn't sleep on my side anymore so now I'm only sleeping on my back. I guess I better get used to that anyway! Besides, Dr. Oz says it's best for you to sleep that way! :)

Thurs was my final appt. with OS before SURGERY. This appt lasted approx two hours. They took a pan x-ray and several impressions on my top teeth and bottom, plus some "bite" impressions for a splint (I think) and took vitals, etc. Everything looked great and I feel a huge peace with my OS and staff. He is super nice and calm (which is important to me!!!) and never made us feel rushed. My Hubby had lots of questions (and probably repeated several) and they never once acted "annoyed". I'm very secure in our choice of OS. He also introduced us to the cosmetic surgeon that assists him in the OR. Sorry, but no projected photos. OS told us that they used to do them but then it may give you a false idea if things don't happen just like that and you may be disappointed. It makes sense! Ultimately his goal is to get my bite, function and breathing corrected first and foremost. I totally understand that. So, I told Eric to make sure and take photos right after surgery before the swelling takes over.

Originally they thought I would need a 2-segment Lefort but after reviewing the models I'll only need a Lefort I. Very excited about this as it will be a little easier recovery and less time in the OR. Surgery is expect to take 3-4 hours. They'll do my upper jaw first. Expect to go up approx. 4 mm and out a little. Lower jaw is expected to go out approx. 8 mm and then a chin implant.

I have to be at the hospital at 9:30 am on Tuesday and surgery will start approx. Noon. I am super duper nervous. I can't even begin to describe my anxiety. I'm more anxious worrying about my kids, Hubby and animals. I actually get wobbly in the legs. We watched the movie Extreme Measures last night and I plan on watching the show I Shouldn't Have Survived. This totally makes me know that if they can go through THAT stuff, I can do this! ;)

*Note: Just realized the show is called I Shouldn't Be Alive...this is how out of it I am! lol! :)

I have to say that I am so thankful to have such a supportive Hubby, sister and bloggin' friends. My sister is eight years older than me but she is like my best friend. She has always looked out for me and knows how sick I was as a kid. She believes in this as much as I do and I'm thankful for that. Even though she always teased me around the house calling me "Bucky Beaver". lol! I still love her!!! XOXOXO

4 comments:

Brent said...

Hi Elisha!
Good news on the Lefort I!! Hang in there on the anxiety, I will pray for you every night until the surgery is done for success, relief and confidence in you vision! I know this must be hard...but the end results will be so worth it!
Have a wonderful evening
Regards,
Brent

Anonymous said...

OHHHHHH I can't even believe your surgery is tomorrow! Good luck girlie- I know you will do great and be so relieved when it is over. Will be thinking of you tomorrow! Please update us and let us know how you are feeling! Hope you get some sleep tonight!

:) All the best!
Mandy

E Hest said...

Thanks Girlfriend! The good thing about having lil' kids is that I am now so pre-occupied with getting everything in order for them that I am not really thinking about it. Tomorrow morning will be a different story! :) See you on the "flip" side! XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you!!! Hope you are feeling ok! :)