Monday, August 23, 2010

The Countdown is OOOOONNNNNN


Okay, so tomorrow will be one week until my upper, lower jaw surgery w/ genioplasty. I cannot believe it's been over a year since I began this journey. My how time flies...and stands still at the same time! I go for my surgical hooks on Wednesday and my super duper appt. with the OS on Thursday to get exact measurements, draw blood, $$PAY$$, etc. :)
Insurance denied again..no surprise...so I am filing a second level appeal and having my OS suggest it be reviewed by an MD who specializes in this field. He says I have an open bite which is a skeletal defect so we'll see.

I am gearing up for the big day. I am setting up a bed downstairs w/ everything I need. Which is really NOTHING but a bunch of pillows, chap stick, nose spray, TV and some books. I have no clue what I'm in for. lol! I also bought some vitawater, lots of chicken broth, carnation instant breakfast, ensure and emergen-c (which I have been taking everyday to get my vit C up!).

I received a call from the hospital last week going over my meds that I can/cannot take. I mostly only take vitamins anyway, but I have to discontinue my Osteo-Bio flex, Omega 3's and Excedrin Migraine. This one was the HARDEST.  I've been getting lots of migraines since my last braces adjustment and w/ the allergy season upon us it has been miserable. I got the WORST migraine last week and thought I was going to start puking...I hadn't purchased any Tylenol yet (which is the only "safe" med to take) so I took the Excedrin anyway and then headed up to buy some Tylenol. Thankfully, I haven't had any episodes since. I guess I didn't realize how much I relied on the Excedrin. I hope this surgery helps my migraines. I've had them since I was about 8 years old. They were really unbearable until I discovered the Excedrin....I should sponsor them! lol!!!

Last weekend I took a little weekend trip w/ my best friend of 20 years. We had a really good weekend. The only problem was that the water was AWFUL there and I'm totally reliant on my bottle of water. Especially at bedtime when my mouth gets so dry from all the "mouth breathing". Anyway, I woke up w/ my dry mouth and cheeks that had STUCK to the brackets of my braces. It must've ripped some skin b/c I am now battling w/ several canker sores on the insides of my cheeks. It's AWFUL to eat and I'm pretty peeved about this considering this is my last week of eating for awhile and I wanted to go out in STYLE!  :) They're getting a little better so I think I can up my eating  in the very near future. I'm holding nothing back this week!!!

My oldest boy just started Kindergarten this past week. I think it's been an adjustment for him and some stress for me but it's getting better. I'm just glad that he has a couple weeks to get used to it before my surgery. Thankfully he'll be off from school the Friday and Monday following my surgery so that should make it easier.

Oh, I almost forgot! The nurse that called said I should make sure and bring some button down shirts to wear for awhile after surgery so I don't "bump" my face. I hadn't considered that. I guess I should buy some????  Was this a problem for anyone??? anyone???

6 comments:

RoxieK said...

Hi Elishia-
Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row! :)

The button up shirts/PJ tops are helpful the first couple days. I wore them while in the hospital, and the first day at home (days 1-3). After that I wore a lot of v-necks and scoop necks, anything with a big opening so I didn't have to worry about bumping or brushing against my face. By day 9-ish I was wearing regular t-shirts.

Just a suggestion on the chap stick (if this is what you have, then nevermind ;) ) – get the squeeze tube kind like Vasaline. It’ll be a little easier to apply since your lips will be tender from being stretched out during the surgery. The ChapStick brand makes a good overnight lip balm that worked really well for me.

I hope your insurance comes thru for you soon. Don't understand why they can be so impossible to deal with.

Good luck next week, and wish you a smooth recovery too!!!


Roxie

Brent said...

Hi Elishia!
I have also read that the button down shirt is a good idea, so as not to bump your face as Roxie was describing.
So, your surgery is next Tuesday??? What time?? I want to be sure to be sending prays and thoughts of success during this time!
As far as the insurance companies go..they suck, but keep pushing! I have not heard anything new from our insurance commissioner but I don't expect any miracle from them either.
Have a super week, and keep us posted!
Cheers,
Brent

E Hest said...

Thx Roxie! It helps to have suggestions from those who have "ventured out" prior to us! ;) The tube chapstick sounds like a much better idea. I'll have to go pick some of those up as well. I have the regular stick kind, but they will not go wasted as my entire family is addicted to chapstick! lol! FYI, I saw you're taking Flexril. I also take it (but try not to) as it also makes me tired in the morning. Maybe try cutting it in half? I only take half and it seems to work okay.

Brent! I'm w/ you on the insurance! I have called them and called them to send my 1st appeal so I could give it to my OS to go off of and they won't return my calls. We'll see if the 2nd level appeal will get me anywhere.

Surgery is not scheduled until Noon. I have to be there at 10:00 am. Prayers are MUCH appreciated. I know I'll be a nervous wreck and my husband gets the brunt of all of it! :)

Thanks all!

E

Anonymous said...

ONE WEEK FROM TODAY! How long did they say you will have to be in the hospital?? How is your recovery lined up as far as your kiddos are concerned? Did your surgeon give you projected images? 20 questions!

E Hest said...

Hey Miss Mandy! Did you get all moved in? Hope so! At least you'll be situated b/f you go under! ;)

I will see the OS tomorrow. I hope he does the projected photos. I'd like to know what I'm in for. I know for sure I'll be in the hosp. two nights, maybe three.

My hubby is taking a week off of work plus he'll have Labor Day off so he'll be home an entire week afer surgery. My kids will stay w/ my parents the first couple nights and then I'm sure my Hubby will be taking care of them. I have two older sisters that I imagine will help out as well. I just HATE bothering other people with my 'needs'. :( Cross you fingers they send me home w/ some images. I'm very curious! XOXOX E

Anonymous said...

Hey- Good luck at your big visit today! Let me know how it goes!

Jaw Surgery Mandy :) LOL