Friday, January 21, 2011

To All My Bloggin' Brothas and Sistas!!!!

Hi there! I know I've been away for awhile...I've missed you bloggin' buddies.  But, I was really doing y'all a favor. I'm actually saving you from the continuous pity party I'm on while I hibernate my winter away. I am NOT a winter person and the kids have been off at least 4-5 days for snow days. So....I'm pretty unmotivated to do much these days. I had an OS appt scheduled for this Thurs that I rescheduled for next week b/c of the weather. I also see my Ortho next Wednesday. I'm still wearing rubber bands day and night, hoping he'll change this??? I'm coming up on 5 months post op! It seems like it's just flown by!!!

My back molars still don't touch and I have problems eating things like thin pasta (angel hair), tortilla chips, lettuce...things like that. But, other than that I pretty much try to chew lots of different things. I still mostly have really soft things like pasta, steamed veggies, etc.  but I've had cookies, pizza and chicken. I still am most comfortable chewing on my right side of my mouth but am also trying to use my left more. It hasn't been easy for me but I do see progress. I've been trying to pucker and whistle...can you guys whistle? I didn't know if this was normal that I haven't been able to do it. Maybe the braces have something to do with it.  I just got efficient with the straw recently. I feel like I should be MUCH further along than this....but o'well. I can't complain much more can I??? :)

We had a great Christmas though and I'm posting some pics of my family and I before my hubby's work Christmas party. These were taken a little over a month ago. It's actually the first Facebook photo I've posted of me with braces!!! I'll post a couple of new close-ups once I climb out of my cave...it seriously may not be until Spring!! :) My face is pretty much the same, I think. My nose is still nice and perky and with all the winter colds going around I've had quite a bit of mouth breathing going on. I can tell my left nostril is still quite a bit different but I'm hoping the septoplasty will help that a little. In looking at some photos pre-surgery I did notice my nostrils were a little off even then. I guess I was so obsessed w/ my mouth that I never noticed it before!

In Nose News....I have been most depressed about this situation. My nose HAS changed...and a lot. Like a fellow blogger buddy put it (not about mine but her own, as this happened to her as well)...it looks rather baboonish! I did see yet another ENT/Plastic Surgeon. She said my septum def is deviated and that I could have surgery as soon as I like to fix this which will help my breathing but not change my nose shape(so it may or may not correct that nostril situation). She also talked to me about the plastic surgery I could have done. She said that to fix my perky tip would only make it look more wide and flat at the base and the best option (which is the same thing crazy Plastic Surgeon man said) was to build up the bridge of my nose with a bone graft to try to balance it out. This could be done at the same time as the septoplasty. Only problem is that insurance won't cover it and it would be $8,000 out of pocket. I'm just not capable of spending more money on this!!! So, even though my Hubby was on board with whatever I decided I opted for the septoplasty only...to fix my breathing. I am coming to terms with the fact that I'm never going to have my old nose back. No matter what I have done it'll never look the same and I think that may depress me even more. So, for now I'll focus on the breathing issue only and maybe in a couple years I may decide to go back and have the bone graft, but I'm praying I'll be content with my new look by then! 

I set my septoplasty up for April 18th. I'm still debating if I'm going to use the ENT/Plastic Surgeon or my original ENT.  I may ask my OS's opinion next Thurs. I know the Plastic Surgeon won't be doing anything "extra" but maybe she will be more conscious of the end result than my original ENT???? I just don't want anymore "surprises". I think some of you can understand this!!! 

I'm glad I crawled out of my cave for a minute to post an update...it really was kinda therapeutic. :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elisha! I am soooo glad you crawled out of your cave and provided a new post! I have to say...with 100% honesty...that I think you look FANTASTIC! I think you were swollen a long time...longer than most people...and you've had a tough run. So I think even though things are falling into place, it might be hard for you to see yourself as the outside world does. I truly do think you look beautiful! Your nose looks great to me. I definitely have noticed that with maxillary impactions, the nose does get wider and takes on a baboon affect. I am very scared of this for myself as well. But your nose pre-surgery was long and thin head on and now it is so shapely and nice. Not too wide at all...you just aren't used to it. My nose now (pre-surgery) is also long and thin head on so I hope I get as nice of a result as you! What does your hubby, friends, and family think/say? I would get the deviated septum fixed and then learn to be happy with the way you look because you do look really, really pretty.

One thing that does concern me though is the trouble you are having eating. Eating is so difficult for me now and believing that I might someday be able to have a perfect bite is keeping me moving forward on this very scary surgery. So to NOT end up with a perfect bite is very WTF to me! Does your ortho think he can get things to where they need to be?

Thanks again for popping your beautiful head in to see us! Please, please come back again soon! Your blog, and also Mandy's really, really helped me make my decision to go through with all of this and I thank you both more than you'll ever know! :-)

-Tina

E Hest said...

Awww, thank you Tina! You really made my day. I'm soooo WTF on my bite situation as well. He kinda told me this could be a possibility b/c of my large open bite but my ortho seems to think he can fix it. I didn't discuss it much w/ him at my last appt. as I was patiently waiting for the rubber bands to do their thing. I have noticed the gap closing some but not as much as I'd anticipated. Also, those molars are really worn down as those used to be the only thing that touched and that I could chew with. I'm really going to question them about it next week. I mean, most people are getting close to getting their braces off at this point. I wonder how much longer I have??? I'm almost scared to ask!!! XOXOX

Anonymous said...

@Tina- you are always so sweet! We promise to be a good cheerleaders for you when you have your surgery!!! (E- I am promising on your behalf! :)

@E- I am so sorry about your nose issues. Suck city. I know how you feel about the whole nose thing..I feel like mine is wider and you can see more nostrils now which does not thrill me. But I can brethe most fabulously so I am thinking it is ok. Hopefully you will feel the same once you have your surgery!

I see the ortho a week from Monday and am hoping to get the nod for brace removal in four weeks. I was hoping to get the nod at the last appointment but he said he thought I needed another month so here I am. I think you are right about the back molars being worn down...I will have to eventually have a crown redone in on my molar to have things totally evened out. I can eat pretty well but do stick to thing that aren't too crunchy. I can not eat salad still...I feel like I have to bite down too hard to break things apart and I am still trying to keep things gentle on my new jaw! :) Just ask about the braces....I bet it will be better news than you expect. YOu need to catch a break!

On other news found out we will be moving YET AGAIN soon. Not sure where yet but should know next week. I think my poor third graders little heart is going to be broken! :( It is move or no job for hubs so I think we will have to take move!

Talk soon!
Mandy

E Hest said...

Yes, Tina, we will def be your cheerleaders! Rah, Rah, Rah! JSM, where are you movin' now? You're such a rockstar! Keep us updated. XOXOXO E

holski said...

Looking great girl. =)

I hope it is okay if I put a link to your blog on mine.

H.

E Hest said...

Hollly, that's totally fine. I actually got an email from another person in our similiar situation...I was going to forward your blog on as well...if you don't mind! :)

E

Anonymous said...

HA- I just went back and reread my post from last night....pretty obvious I had a few drinks with all of my typos!!! SORRY!! :)

JSM

E Hest said...

JSM! Too funny, I didn't even notice! Drink away...lol! So are you headed back to MI? I can't imagine having to up and move. I'll pray this is your final stop! :( Were you renting homes or buying? That's a headache in and of itself. Good luck...if we lived closer I'd come help you!!!

Braced Blogger said...

Hey E! Thanks for the update for all of your bloggin buddies; we really appreciate it! OMG can I just say that you look so good!!! I'm wholeheartedly agree with Tina and Mandy that you look fantastic. I actually love your new nose. In my opinion, your eyes stand out more. I really hope I end up with the results you and Mandy have experienced. I am a little nervous though because I am having a hard time selecting a surgeon. Check my site for an update on this later this week. :-)

On another topic, your Christmas photos are adorable and I can see just how petite you really are. Are you still losing weight especially since you are still on a restricted diet?

Keep us posted on who you choose for your septoplasty. Are you leaning more toward one or the other? Oh before I forget, did you have a septoplasty during surgery also or will this be the first? You had a deviated septum before the surgery right? I may need a septo. also. I have an apt with an ent scheduled for next month to find out for sure.

Take care and ill keep checking in with you!
Tara

Anonymous said...

Moving is the reason for my lack of posts lately. I have been so preoccupied with what the future has in store for my little family that it has really put all this jaw business into perspective. Having to move my girls again- that would be their fourth school in two years (well my third graders, my younger daughter is in Kindi and my two year old could care less :)). So sad about it.

Looks like we will be headed to Evansville, IN...are you anywhere near there?? lol

Braced Blogger said...

Mandy - I posted on your blog. Evansville is my hometown! If E lives close by, maybe we could all meet up sometime. I go back a few times a year and will be back sometime in the spring after Tax Season. :-)

Tara

E Hest said...

I'm about 7 hours away from there. You're getting closer. I'm up for a road trip. We SHOULD all get together sometime. Preferrably after braces! ;)

rhinoplasty said...

Don't be very sad about your nose.You can fix it with a revision angioplasty ... just make sure you are with a great surgeon and a great advanced medical team that is going to help you in the healing process.

E Hest said...

revision angioplasty? I thought angioplasty had to do with veins. Do you mean Rhino? :) I know...I understand that it could change with rhino but I don't think I can handle any more change or $$$ right now. I'm just going to have the septo to correct my breathing and be happy with it! Thanks! I'll try to update my blog soon. My septo surgery is coming up in a couple weeks. eeekkk.