Thursday, September 9, 2010

1 Week Post-Op!!!!!


Hello all! I am still alive and I FEEL much more alive! Let me tell you something. Everyone talks about that Day 3 mark. Well, for me it must've been Day(s) 3-5 because those days all felt the same for me. They were the worst! Not just physically, but emotionally as well. I am now a week post-op and things are looking up! I have more energy and a much more positive outlook than originally. Not sure if the meds got me down or what but I'm off of everything except one more day of antibiotics and over the counter Ibuprofen. I think today I'll go get a humidifier and some natural sleep aid. I'm still sleeping on several pillows on my back and it's not the most comfortable.

I met w/ the OS yesterday. He took another pano. He said everything looked great and my swelling was very minimal (although my left side is a little more swollen than right). I scheduled an appt. for NEXT Thursday to get my splint taken out. I'm a little nervous b/c they asked if I was getting completely put out or a little sedated to have this done. I wasn't aware it was going to be painful???? I told them I wouldn't need anything.  Now, I've decided to take my mom along in case I become a baby and need some kind of medication.  Has anyone heard if this is supposed to be painful? Why would I need sedated? He said the wires aren't between teeth or anything.  OS also put some weaker rubber bands in so I can move my mouth a little more. Although, the bands are very close up front so I don't have alot of room if I wanted to use a spoon or something.

I'm "allowed" to have mashed potatoes and stuff but I'd rather stick to the blended meals. It's faster, easier and I get more "bang for the buck". :) I'm all about efficiency! I still have a lot of muscle milk, chicken broth and soups. I also have blended oatmeal and last night had a piece of fried (boneless) chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy mixed w/ milk and blended. It was the best meal yet! I also bought quiche to blend and chicken pot pie. Let me tell you... my Vitamix might of cost a lot but it has been heavenly!!!!!  My hubby was much impressed. He's been using it as well.

My other purchase that was much enjoyed is my Waterpik. I am allowed to use it on my teeth on the lowest setting. It has proven to be much more effective at cleaning my teeth/mouth than anything else. I also add salt water at times to help soothe my mouth. Very good choice!!! One more good purchase was the 'moist heat' heating pad. The first 24-48 hours you want to ice your face, but after that it won't help anymore w/ the swelling and the moist heat feels really nice...and aids in healing.

Well, I think that's it for today. I overdid it a little yesterday w/ my OS appt., then we went to Sam's Club and my sister's house for dinner. I'm a little tired this morning so I think I'll take it easy. It's my hubby's last day home so I'm going to take advantage. Thank you so much for prayers and encouragement. It has really helped me through those "dark hours". I'll keep all of you in my prayers as well. XOXOXO E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mean, holy crap you look amazing for just having major surgery last week! HOLY CRAP!!!!

I am emailing you now......

Brent said...

Hi Elishia!
What wonderful news and great information in your post! I like to hear what you are blending for food...I was thinking the same way - if it can be blended I will blend it and slurp it down!
Have a super wonderful evening!!
Cheers,
Brent