Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 4 Post Op

I just noticed how I have drool all over my shirt and sunglasses on my head! I look like such dork! Oh well, I really haven't cared much about that these past couple of days.  Today seemed a little better. One big piece of advice I can give is to push yourself to actually drink from a cup. You get so much more this way than w/ the syringe. Also, I pushed myself to swallow pills instead of the liquid meds. These also seem to work longer/better. Then if you can do this you can also take a multi-vitamin.  I hope my swelling starts to go down soon. I had a little "variety" today. Muscle milk, an EAS shake, tomato soup, lots of chicken broth. It really helped w/ my nausea. I've been trying to get my mouth cleaned out. I just have this really bad taste no matter what I do. :( My kids are  coming home tonight. I'm so excited to see them. I know they'll raise my spirits. Eric is still home until Tues morning. Then it's all on me...my son will be in Kindergarten all day but I will have my daughter home w/ me. This has been making me nervous. I don't know what I'm going to do. Hoping that I can be able to manage and just nap when she does.

I can't wait to be at that place where you say...I'm sooo happy I did this! I know it will come. I'm just very impatient...and I'm a constant drooling mess!!!

6 comments:

Brent said...

Hi Elishia!
Drool or no drool, you are looking great! I am the same way about "pushing" your self, I glad to hear someone say that... Do you have a splint in, and if so how do you get pills in?
You are almost 1 week post op (acutally you are if we consider a a 5 day business week!) Have a great day!
Regards,
Brent

E Hest said...

Yes, I have a splint that is attached to my upper teeth w/ two rubber bands on the sides. I have enough room to get the pill in, push it to the back of my throat w/ my tongue and start drinking it down. It actually has worked pretty good. It's funny. I do all my drinking in the bathroom. I have this ritual where I cover myself w/ a towel, drink my shake, clean up, rinse my mouth w/ water and that just about takes it out of me! I do this about 6 times a day. The nutritionist at the hospital said protein and calories are key to your healing so my hubby is really doing a wonderful job at making my shakes!

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, wish I could come help you with your kiddos. I can only imagine the stress of anticipating watching the kiddos by yourself when you are feeling so crappy. Just have hubby stock up on all the best Disney movies at the library and just have a movie marathon week on the couch.

You do look great. You are on the other side and are almost over the dreaded first week. Day by day girl, day by day. I know, easy for me to say when I haven't been through it! I know I will need you as my cheerleader next month.

Know that so many people are thinking of you and wishing you well! I keep talking to my family about my friend who just had surgery. I really do think of you as a good friend! It is nice to know someone who is in the same shoes.

Thinking of you and make the most of tomorrow with hubs home!

xoxo
Mandy

E Hest said...

You are such a sweetie! Things are getting a little better. I got my neighbor to watch Emry for a few hours Tues morning and then talked Eric into staying home Wed. and Thurs. He has a meeting on Friday so I'm flying solo but by then I think I can handle it.

I was just thinking in bed last night how I HAVE to get better so I CAN be your cheerleader! lol! How long is your hubby taking off? Honestly after day 3 it's not so much the pain I think as emotionally straining. I HATE emotional strain and the fact that my face looks permantely stuck in "momma calls me chubby" state! lol! Love you and thanks for the encouragement. I'll get there so I can be there for you! XOXO

Anonymous said...

So glad that you will get some more help. That is crucial! You are on the up n up!

Did you bruise at all? I don't see any bruising on you! I can imagine how the swelling is getting to you. Just keep truckin' pretty soon the swelling will be distant memories and you will be sporting your hot new jaw!

My husband is just taking a few days off but I have to drive three hours to the hospital. My mom is staying with us for two weeks thank god! Do you think I will be able to make a three hour drive three days after surgery or should I plan on staying close to the hospital longer??

xoxo
Mandy

E Hest said...

I think the 3 hour drive would be fine. I didn't have to drive that far. Probably only an hour, but I actually liked the drive b/c you're sitting up and I don't know...I feel like it helped me rest. At that time you'll still be pretty numb and doped so you'll probably just sleep. You can wear your "jaw bra" that they'll give you at the hospital and that can give you support if you're worried about the bouncy ride. IMO, I would be at home and make the drive instead of staying in a hotel.